Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sidewalk Chalk Paint - Part Two

We love painting with chalk paint outside!
This is one of the best homemade recipes that I have ever tried!

Mix Together
1 part cornstarch
1 part water
a little bit of food coloring

I use 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup water to make a larger amount of paint for each color. Then I store the paint in recycled containers to use over several days. After the paint sits the cornstarch does settle and need to be stirred before each use.




I found this great divided tray at the dollar store. It works perfect! When we are done painting and there is leftover paint all I have to do it line up the containers of paint and I can pour back all 3 colors at the same time. Well, most of it gets back into the container!






Many times when painting with young kids I give them colors of paint that can be mixed together without getting all yucky! It also gives kids a chance to figure out how to make new colors other then brown and black. Opps! I was excited to take a picture in action of the kids bringing nature into their art that I didn't notice one little guy painting his hand!




That's the fun of being outside on a nice day! An art activity can turn into a sensory activity. Then a little squirt of water and they are good to go inside again. Sometimes it takes lots of water but the memories and experience lasts a lifetime! When else do you get a chance to paint your hands, feet, legs, rocks and leafs?





No comments:

Post a Comment